Hello everyone, it has been an interesting week as we have prepared for transfers this coming weekend. It is the topic among all the Elders and Sisters, who is being transferred and who is coming to take their place. They get so excited and some very nervous as the speculation goes around. As for Sister Waller and I, we are sure they will leave us together and here in Mindelo!
This past transfer, having a threesome of Elders, I have been kept busy going with the Elders for discussions. Sister Waller on the other hand has been busy baking, to every ones delight. She cooked well over 50 donuts for District meeting on Monday. I helped with the cooking, just like Krispy Kreme. They were gone in a flash!
District Meeting treats, everyone with big smiles!!
We held a nice FHE with a new member. I gave the lesson telling the story about ants in Sri Lanka, then related it to how we need the Holy Ghost in our lives, for guidance. Much of my evenings were taken up with preparing for the coming weekend. We will be traveling to Praia for the 1st Institute Conference. All the Islands are sending their youth 18-30 to the Conference, which will be something like an EFY. I am to speak in 3 sessions on Saturday. So I have been busy preparing a power point presentation on “A Armadura de Deus”, (The armor of God). I have some good ideas about stories and an object lesson planned.
Thursday was “P” day this week because of a National Holiday on Wednesday, we aren’t sure what the Holiday was about but everyone was off work, so our “P” days was switched to Thursday. It has been really hot and humid lately. Sharon and I just sweat all the time, especially when in the kitchen cooking. I am down almost 20 lbs and Sharon is down over 10 lbs., that doesn’t mean I have been cooking. I have been out walking. Her skirts are getting a little loose in the waist as well as are my pants!!
We had a nice flight over to Praia Friday evening arriving about 11:30 pm and made it to the Mission home with out any problem. President and Sister Tolman are in England for a Mission Presidents Conference, but allowed us to stay at the home. It was really nice sleeping with an A/C!!!! When you rolled over you didn’t stick to each other because of sweat! We were up early Saturday for the trip up to the conference area, about a 45minute drive into the center of the island. Elder Santos, mission couple here, came with the new mission car and picked us up; Elder Santos use to be a bus driver, taxi driver and truck driver in Sao Paulo, Brazil; which explains why he drives like a formula 1driver. By the time we got to the conference area we felt we had been on a roller coaster! I am sure the drive normally takes a good 45 minutes, but he made it in less than 20. They had originally asked if we would be staying at the conference for the weekend, I am glad we said no! Not a very pleasant place. Anyway we got settled among the 250 attendees. I gave my 1st presentation and the reaction was great. I really think everyone enjoyed the stories and object lesson. I had to repeat it 2 more times that morning for the rest of the group as they had been divided up into more manageable sizes. I told the story “Celestial Mail Order Bride”, “ You Must Be a Mormon” and “Light them Up”. For you that haven’t heard these stories sorry, in the future maybe I’ll post them on the blog. They were rather fun trying to convert them to Portuguese on the spot, everyone really enjoyed the time together.
Young single Adult Conference: Teaching object lesson on 'Armor of God'
We came back to Praia and rested that afternoon, then went our for dinner with E/S Allen ( office couple) to celebrate Sister Allen’s and Sister Waller’s birthdays., the 17th and the 18th. We went to the Tropico Hotel restaurant. We sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to them before dinner. At the end of our meal the staff brought out a delicious chocolate cake with 2 candles and sparklers. Nice touch!! We arrived back at the mission home in time to meet the AP’s and learn of all the changes in the Mindelo Zone. We are going to have to say good bye to Elder Wixom. He has been our Portuguese tutor this last transfer, what a great young man. He is from Grand Junction, Colorado. We have enjoyed getting to know him. He is off to Praia to be a new Zone Leader, he will be great! He will serve with Elder Wada. We are getting Sister Alencar from Brazil, who will be trained by Sister Vaterlaus. Sister Delgado is being transferred to Fogo. We will be getting 2 new Elders, Dance and Ellis, looking forward to working with them in the Zone.
Sister Pollard and friend at Ramo 2, Praia
Today we are off to the Ramo 3 here in Praia, with the Allen’s for church. Yesterday Elder Allen baptized a Nigeria living here in Praia. Because the church building is being remodeled, the baptism took place at the beach. The waves have been rather large the last couple of weeks and Elder Allen also got baptized, from the force of the waves. I know quite a few Elders who would have loved body surfing back to shore! After church we had a very nice evening with E/S Allen, great chocolate cheese cake!
That is about it for this busy week. Everyone have a great week. Tchau!
E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa
No comments:
Post a Comment