Our week has flown by with all the usual happens; exchanges with the missionaries, visits to members home, preparing for talks, preparing for missionaries dropping by on ‘P’ day to ask if we had cookies, preparing for this and that. So time does fly by quickly. It was a rather uneventful week although each day had some minor happening. I have had some time to read and Sister Tolman has provided a few Historical Biographies for me to read. Some have been rather insightful and I have come away with a deeper appreciation for my native home land and freedoms we enjoy. I have also had the opportunity to read a number of church books, some for the 2nd time.
One of the things I need to be better at is writing in my study journal. Although I am studying; I fail to write down the thoughts and emotions that come to me as I study. I have counseled the missionaries to do better at this and I need to heed my own advice. I have been enjoying the Writings of Isaiah BYU roundtable discussions and have found them very helpful in understanding some of the symbolism.
Porto Novo on the Island of Santo Antao
I was reading in 1 Nephi this week and in chapter 2 came across the frequently read account of Lehi’s family leaving the safety (actually dangers) of home, and traveling into the wilderness. Where upon Lehi builds an altar and gives an offering to the Lord. I sat thinking about building an altar; according to the Law of Moses it has to be of natural stones, not hewn by man. Why natural stone? I sat for quite awhile think about the offering we have to give to the Lord; what in reality can we give to the Lord, but our heart. The thought came that the stones might represent the same thing that the oil in the parable of the ‘Ten Virgins’ represented. But since all that we are and can be, are directly associated with the blessings from the Lord, then indeed the stones are not hewn. Whereas natural stones are formed over eons of time, so are our characters formed under the direction of God, if we chose to follow His counsel, with all our hearts. Indeed the offering we have to place on the altar is a broken and contrite heart; a heart willing to do all that God commands; a heart willing “ to lay aside the things of this world and seek for the things of a better” D&C 25:10. Just as Lehi and his family rejoiced and gave thanks for the ‘tender mercies’ of God, so we also need to build altars and give thanks for the ‘tender mercies’ of God; allowing Him to make of our lives what will be of the greatest worth to our souls and allow Him to accomplish His great work among men.
We have the opportunity to witness small miracles each day here in the mission field. Young men and women leave family and friends and go about trying to spread the Gospel. Some people listen, many don’t, but still the missionaries move forward seeking the opportunity to testify. We have all kinds of talents among the missionaries; musical, sporting, speaking, communicating etc. But all have one thing in common, when they speak with the influence of the Holy Ghost they speak with power; the power that has the ability to change lives. We find though that many accept the commitment and enter into the waters of baptism but then have extreme difficulties keeping the commandments.
This past week we had a local festival called “Baia” here in Mindelo. It is as I mentioned in last weeks news letter a Rock Concert. Many members attended and stayed away from church to participate. I have spoken to many people asking about the concert and what goes on among the participants. The consensus is; loud music, suggestive dancing, alcohol, drugs and generally a worldly party atmosphere. Some members say is great, that if you go during the day it is okay, you just don’t want to stay too late as things do get out of control. I spoke today in 2 Sacrament meetings and my topic was “Breaking bad traditions in our lives”. This was an assigned topic. I have given up writing out my talks and instead write down all the phrases that give me trouble and new words that I might use in my talk. I then ask the congregation to listen with their hearts, not their ears and try to feel the spirit of the message. I conjugate all my verbs in the “we” form if I can. This way I hope they feel I am speaking to myself, as well as them, when I call their attention to changes that need to made in “our” lives. I basically stated that as disciples, ‘followers’ of Christ, we need to ask ourselves the following question when we find ourselves in these places. Do I feel the Spirit of God here? If not, then I should not be here! My message was received as the missionaries told me, they understood every word perfectly; sometimes it so hard to call others to repentance. I hope it helped by including myself in that call.
Thank you for all you do. May we each build our altars of stone, by following the counsel of God with a contrite spirit and broken heart, willing to lay aside the things of this world and seek for the things of a better.
Com amor,
E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa
Sunset over Face Mountain
Elder Terry, Snow, Alexander, Sister Bikhazi, Elder Bueno, Sister Delgado, Elder Burk striking a pose.
Shack on Santo Antao
Grog Factory using sugar cane on Santo Antao.
Tchau!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment