Monday, June 15, 2015

Family History Mission Week 35

Bom dia!
Well I am trying to get back in the habit of blogging Sunday or Monday of each week.  It is hard sometimes to come up with new things to talk about, but I will keep trying.  Sharon and I had the opportunity to go to the movie last week and saw “Cokeville Miracle”: it was very good and a real tear jerker. The story line is about the 1986 hostage taking of an elementary school in Cokeville, Wyoming.  It was interesting to following and had a good spiritual message.  I would give it 4 stars!

On Thursday we took 3 missionaries from our zone up to Logan, to attend a temple session. It is a beautiful temple.  Sisters Rawlins, Christensen, and Phillips were excited to get to go; we enjoyed  lunch, at Chuck A Rama there in Logan.  The waitress was name Aleesha and she is the niece of Sister Slattery here in the FHL, small world.
Sunday E/S Young spoke in Sacrament meeting and they did a good job.  Sharon and I are counting our blessings for not having to speak, maybe we will make to the end.

We had sad news this week; Earl Palmer of Wenatchee, Washington died in his home in Orem.  The Palmers had become proxy grandparents to our children when they were growing up.  Earl was the help I needed to get my practice started in Moses Lake.  We will miss him dearly but he is now with his sweet heart Shirley.

We received word today that President Workman and President John’s of our mission presidency are being released in the next week or so.  President Workman has been a great example and wonderful leader.  He has served as a member of the Second Quorum of Seventy, Mission President in Hawaii and now the President of the Family and Church Headquarters Mission.  We will have a special Monday Morning devotional on the 22nd with Elders Cook and Anderson of Quorum of the Twelve.  It should be a great meeting!!

We received bad news this weekend as Elder Henrie called and told us his son was killed in an accident down in Cedar City.  Elder Henrie is a CSM who works with the Young elders.  Also this past weekend Sister Kohla had a stroke and probably will have to end her mission early, although this is her 5th year as a FH missionary.  She is 84 and a great example to us all.

Last week I had an Elijah moment while working as a host.  A gentleman came in and I welcomed him to the library; I asked him what he would like to do and he stated that he had been here about a year ago but wasn’t very successful in finding any information.  I told him we would get a helper for him in his research and directed him to a computer on the main floor.  I then went looking for someone to help him.  We were not very busy and there were a number of people that were available to help, but I looked across the room and had a feeling I needed to ask Elder Dominguez.  Elder Dominguez is a young missionary in our zone who is serving as a zone leader and a great young man.  So I went over and asked if he would be available to help a guest. He replied “no problem”.  So I introduced him to the man and then went back to my assigned area.  Later the man came out and was walking on cloud nine!! “I found my great grandfather and more” he stated.  “And that Elder Dominguez is great” he said.  He then related that Elder Dominguez had tried to help him last year without success, but this year a miracle occurred. We have these things happening all the time.

Saturday I was working as a guest helper with this Jewish gentleman.  He assured me we would probably not find anything as he had very little information about his family.  So we began and soon had his father in the 1940 census.  He assured me the family name was spelled only one way “Beerstein”, but I kept telling him that is not always the case.  Sure enough we found his great grandparents with a spell of ‘Beirstien”.  I even found a marriage record for him, he was elated and words were hard for him to express. He finally asked my name and said, “I want to remember you!”
So you see small miracles occur here every day; what a joy to be a part of this great work!

Well that is about it for this week, hope everyone is doing well and finding time to search a little in Family Search.

Love to all,
E/S Waller, Bama & Bampa, Mom & Dad, Chuck & Sharon

                                                                 Elder Domingues and Ottensen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We love reading your Family History Week lessons! You are amazing the way you can relate to people!
Miss you two! Especially since Potato Harvest is coming up! :)