Sunday, July 13, 2008

Cape Verde Week 68

Boa noite,

Well another week has flown by and we are wondering where the time went. We have had a busy week that started with our Sunday night Temple Preparation class. I have worked hard to get the class in Portuguese on the computer in a Power Point Presentation, which helps immensely with the presentation. Plus I have added photos of the different temples. Although my Portuguese is bad with the help of the slides the presentation goes over fairly well. We are preparing Alberto and Zita for the temple in September.

Alberto is a Cuban, who came over to the island to help with the agriculture development. He found Zita and decided to stay. This did not make the Cubans very happy and he has had some difficulties getting established here. He has been a member for over a year now and is functioning in the Branch as the Elder’s Quorum President. He has a University degree and is a solid individual. He speaks excellent Spanish and really rolls his RRRRR’s.

Monday found us at Lilina’s home for FHE. I had prepared cards to play concentration with the children. I used photos of Gospel topics and the life of the Savior. We first started out discussing each card and what the picture represented i.e.; Lazarus, Mary, Jesus being baptized, the crucifixion, resurrection, Joseph 1st vision, restoration of the Gospel, etc. They caught on really well and liked the game. Sharon and I prepared a FHE board to show who is to do what, for them and will present that this week. We commented that we didn’t even have one for our family, oh well; missionaries sometimes go the extra mile.

This week was a little depressing for me, I enter the realm of the aged, I turned 60!!! I was surprised when the Elders and Sisters came with a birthday cake, in the shape of a golf green. It even had a miniature golf ball and flag. It was nice to be remembered and cheered up the day. It is amazing the older I get the further away the senior status gets for me. To get senior rates on the golf course you now have to be 65!!!! Well here they are surprising me. Elder DaCruz and Ray even were able to point out that I am 60. Elder DaCruz is quite happy to have 6 fingers on each hand. He can truly hold up both hands and say, " We have 12 apostles"!Preparation Day found us entertaining the Elders and Sisters with home made donuts and games of UNO and concentration. They enjoyed the time together. Plus they went through alot of donuts!!!

We finished our preparation for the RS activity. The play, dance and meeting all went well. We had some trouble with the handcarts and the icing glue didn’t set up well and the electricity went out so we couldn’t use the hot glue gun. Oh well, they enjoyed eating the cookies. Elder Wyson played the part of Joseph Smith in the RS play. I think he needs a little more hair for the part, oh well mission rules and besides it is comfortable and cool!Sisters working on their hand carts at the RS activity. Cova Figeira Sister singing as part of the program. I din't get a good picture of the bonnets Sister Waller made and will search through the missionaries photos. they came out real cute. Although Sister Ginha got suck with the large bonnet and it looked like a bonnet walking up on the stage. Photos later.

Today we attended the Fonte Alexio branch and the BP was absent again!! His counselor was in a dilemma as he had no program, so we quickly put one together. Dani and Neia returned from the Recife Temple on Saturday, so we had them speak and bare their testimonies, then, I took up the rest of the meeting. It went very well. Dani and Neia were all smiles and tears as they talked about the beautiful Temple and encouraged everyone to prepare to go. Their trip went very well and they enjoyed every minute.

Well that is about it for this week. Except we got our travel plans home. Seems the travel dept. didn’t make any arrangements for us until this past week. Normally it is done 4 months in advance. Well all the good flights were booked, so now we will have a horrendous flight home. Well over 27 hrs. with 3 stops. Plus the possibility exists that we will have to take a 9-10 hr boat ride to Praia. They are closing the airport for a month and it very well could affect our trip. Since the boat only goes once every week to a week and half, we might be leaving here early, only to sit in Praia waiting for our plane.

So Tchau for this week and let’s all pray they finish the airport makeover on time, please!

Love to all,

E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa

No comments: