Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cape Verde Week 56

Bom dia,

It all started with a visit to the hospital. President Pires was having abdominal pain last weekend during District Conference. It finally got the best of him and he was admitted to the Hospital here in Sao Filipe. They diagnosed appendicitis and set him up for surgery on Monday. President Tolman and I had the opportunity to visit with him for a few minutes before surgery. He really wasn’t sure what was happening but just wanted the pain to go away. While waiting for the nurse to open the door so we could visit, I stepped off the walk way onto the cobblestone road, unfortunately the stone I stepped on was no firmly fixed and so I rolled my left ankle and landed face first on the road. It hurt but it wasn’t broken. Since then it has been given me some trouble with swelling and just a dull ache. It is hard to go anywhere without walking so that keeps it aggravated. It really bothers me after walking up hill as that puts more stress on the joint. Oh well give it 6 weeks or so!

Monday was Zone Conference and both President Tolman and I were prepared with nice Power Point presentations. Just as we were getting started the power went out and stayed out all morning. Our presentations were not nearly as exciting. We had a nice Zone luncheon at the Tropicale Club after the conference.
Sisters Duarte, Skinn, Elders Fernandez, DaLuz, DeCruz, Kinghorn, Silva, Ellis, DaCruz, Reynolds, Dos Reis. Front: President Sister Tolman, Elder & Sister Waller

On Tuesday we went with the Tolman’s to the volcano park. They had not seen that area and we wanted to make sure it happened before they headed home. The rock colors and views were terrific. We spent some time in the village and their small museum. The young lady there was pleasant and said the volcano was their friend. I suppose it provides new top soil every now and then. We are just glad if it will be after we leave that it provides more topsoil!! Elder Reynolds who is serving in Cova Figueira said " the mountain has been rumbling lately". Yikes!!!We had a wonderful lunch at the small hotel in the crater. It is run by a French man and he knows how to cook, it was a great meal. We sure enjoyed having the Tolman’s around for the weekend! This was Sister Waller's lunch; chicken, I had fish both were just excellent.

With my ankle I stayed close to home most of the week until Thursday. I took Sharon on a hike through the city to see some members. We gave the VT lesson and I told them I was the newest member of the Relief Society. We had good visits, but by the time we got home my ankle was swollen and hurting. Wednesday night we taught English class for the Elders and had about 12 students, it was fun.

The rest of the week has been slow. Sharon did get out with Sister Solange and do their visiting teaching. They will probably be the only ones to have been out again this month. Although they love to visit they just don’t have the vision of VT or HT yet. We saw a number of people at church today, who have been infrequent in attendance. We visited a few and invited them and sure enough they show up. Hopefully it will stick and we can see the numbers increase and changes in the lives of the people. Sister Maria DaLuz let Sharon & Solange in after 3 yrs of saying no to VT’s and then she was at church, a success!! We have now finished the 5th week of our Temple Preparation class with 1 week to go.

Well that is it of this week.

E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa

Elder Day as David and Elder De Cruz as Solomon, we thought it should be David & Goliath!

Elders and Sisters are ready for lunch.

Carmen at the museum selling us our lava pot. She really felt that the volcano was her friend.Sister Waller & Tolman on the road to the Volcano Park. Everyone got sunburned except Sister Waller, she doesn't burn.

This was only the 2nd time the President had an opportunity to wear his levis while out in the mission field. I think he felt pretty comfortable. I tried to talk him into wearing a tie but not with levi's. Below is Mt Pico. and yes Craig your daughter will probably climb the volcano in the weeks to come! The plant is a caster bean, they use the oil on their hair to straighten it.

Above is the resturant where we had lunch and Kayla from Mosteiros at District Conference. Below is Zea & Nilson Fernandes with their new baby boy Zenilson. She is the Sister to Elder Pires our 1st Zone Leader and he is the brother to Elder Monteiro in Mindelo.

No comments: