It has been a full week, here in Sao Filipe, of activities. We have made a number of visits with the members and given lots of music lessons. The choir has been practicing hard to be ready for District Conference this coming weekend.
Monday started with a good District meeting. We had lessons on the Atonement by Sister Waller, Preach My Gospel Lesson by Sister Skinn, testimonies and faith promoting experiences from the other Elders. Sister Waller was kept busy this week with music lessons, she is now teaching 7 times a week. The lessons generally stretch out to an hour as most of the students need the extra time for practice. We have no keyboards here so they have to come to the Chapel to practice and it is hard for them sometimes.
We have all been excited for this past weekend, because for the first time the General Conference will be received live on Fogo. The members have all seen conference but usually 2-3 months late on a DVD. I was able to get the broadcast live on the internet and have all the Sao Filipe missionaries over for the Solemn Assembly. What a special time and special meeting!
We have continued with our Temple Preparation Class and are half way through the first group. I already have a 2nd group ready to start in about 4 weeks. I am also thinking of offering a Fireside one Sunday Evening with the topic being “Preparing Talks”. Most of the members are relatively new and when they give a talk many just read from the Gospel Principle Manual. This does make for long talks but also not very, how would you say, exciting or memorable.
Preparation Day was busy this week making peanut butter cookies. Thank goodness the Elders and Sisters are here to clean out the freezer full of cookies. I would be putting on the pounds if it wasn’t for them. We have definitely found a weak spot with Sister Duarte, she likes chocolate!! Actually, I think, any cookie is her friend.
We received emails and updates from the children, and really enjoyed some of the grandchildren new sayings like; Reese (soon to be 4) banging her head and saying “son of a nutcracker!” Charley (just 2) talking to her Mom—“Daddy loves me, he does!!” And then there is Avry (4) explaining the birds and bees to her Dad---“Daddy I am a girl, and Edyn is a girl, all my friends are girls except Jackson—He has a big ………..foots!” She sure got her Dads attention!!! We hope our children are writing all these things down.
Saturday finally arrived and we were able to view the 2 sessions live and as I said early what a special conference. I was asked to give the Priesthood lesson in Fonte Alexio Branch as the Elders were having to take a new missionary to the airport, so after the evening session it was study time. I decided to talk about the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood and the responsibility of each of the different offices in the Priesthood. I was a little worried as there would be no English speaking Elders at the meeting, but everything went well. In fact it went so well, I am going to do the lesson in all the units here on Fogo.
Odair from Mindelo working on our Chapel here in Sao Filipe. He is planning on getting married in Juneor July. All we can say is "it is about time!"
Elders Kinghorn & Day with Sister Waller watching the construction workon the chapel before the fiesta.
Another beautiful flower of Cape Verde, Sao Filipe.
Well that is about it for this week. Hope everyone is well and happy.
Love to all,
E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa
No comments:
Post a Comment