Well, I am writing again, as time is flying. We started the week in Brava, finishing up a 4 day visit to the island. We had the opportunity on Monday to inspect the Elders apartment, visit a less active member and conduct a FHE for the Branch. It was a good day. Tuesday arrived and we basically spent the day getting to the ferry, watching the ferry unload, and load. Surviving a rough (well it wasn’t to bad) ride home to Sao Filipe, and then catching up on laundry, cleaning and rest.
Sister Waller, Elders Reis & Mendonca hiking the hills of Brava. Elder Mendonca has his fresh whole milk.
Branch Members in Brava
I attended Fonte Alexio branch seminary class again and I am amazed at how well the teacher is doing. His name is Arnaldo and he is 17 y/o. He has been a member for about 1 year. The class is quite large with normal attendance around 15. When I say quite large, I mean quite large for a young man to handle. They do seem to be on their best behavior when I attend.
Most of the week was spent getting ready for the Relief Society Birthday celebration to be held on Saturday. The new District President in the RS was just call and has no experience, so Sister Waller and Sister Marinho came to the rescue. They had a week and half to pull together a program and activities. The District President wanted lots of food and activities. So Sharon and Sister Marinho focused on the program and the President worked on the food. I spent some time showing Sharon how to use Power Point program and then we downloaded a bunch of stuff off the internet. She then went to work and came up with a good presentation. She presented all the past Presidents of the RS and the purpose and objectives of the Society. Sister Marinho narrated. Most of Saturday was spent on making cinnamon rolls and setting up for the program. Everything went off well, and the Sisters seem to enjoy the activity.
I have taken it upon myself to teach a Temple preparation class. We have a couple preparing to go to the temple and a young man who has received his mission call. It ought to be a good experience and I should learn some Portuguese while I am teaching. We start tonight and I have read through it a number of times in Portuguese and seem to understand the lesson pretty good. Now we will see if they can understand me?
I have also started Clerk training as well as Branch Presidency training. I am hoping to get a program the church provides for clerks in Portuguese, but no word yet if it is available. In this whole process of training, my main focus will be on the District Presidency, so that when I leave they can continue the training. This has basically been neglected in the past. In most cases it is not because they aren’t willing, it is that they just don’t know how, or haven’t had a proper example.
This weekend is transfers and we are losing Sister Marinho and Elder Fortes. They will both be missed but we know they have great talent which is needed in their new areas of service. We get to work with Elder Day again, which is great and Sister Duarte gets to train and new missionary from Montana. That is about it for this week.
Sister Marinho performing "I Am A Child of God" at the Saturday baptism.
I attended Fonte Alexio branch seminary class again and I am amazed at how well the teacher is doing. His name is Arnaldo and he is 17 y/o. He has been a member for about 1 year. The class is quite large with normal attendance around 15. When I say quite large, I mean quite large for a young man to handle. They do seem to be on their best behavior when I attend.
Most of the week was spent getting ready for the Relief Society Birthday celebration to be held on Saturday. The new District President in the RS was just call and has no experience, so Sister Waller and Sister Marinho came to the rescue. They had a week and half to pull together a program and activities. The District President wanted lots of food and activities. So Sharon and Sister Marinho focused on the program and the President worked on the food. I spent some time showing Sharon how to use Power Point program and then we downloaded a bunch of stuff off the internet. She then went to work and came up with a good presentation. She presented all the past Presidents of the RS and the purpose and objectives of the Society. Sister Marinho narrated. Most of Saturday was spent on making cinnamon rolls and setting up for the program. Everything went off well, and the Sisters seem to enjoy the activity.
I have taken it upon myself to teach a Temple preparation class. We have a couple preparing to go to the temple and a young man who has received his mission call. It ought to be a good experience and I should learn some Portuguese while I am teaching. We start tonight and I have read through it a number of times in Portuguese and seem to understand the lesson pretty good. Now we will see if they can understand me?
I have also started Clerk training as well as Branch Presidency training. I am hoping to get a program the church provides for clerks in Portuguese, but no word yet if it is available. In this whole process of training, my main focus will be on the District Presidency, so that when I leave they can continue the training. This has basically been neglected in the past. In most cases it is not because they aren’t willing, it is that they just don’t know how, or haven’t had a proper example.
This weekend is transfers and we are losing Sister Marinho and Elder Fortes. They will both be missed but we know they have great talent which is needed in their new areas of service. We get to work with Elder Day again, which is great and Sister Duarte gets to train and new missionary from Montana. That is about it for this week.
Sister Marinho performing "I Am A Child of God" at the Saturday baptism.
Solange with the RS birthday cake. We had about 50 sisters in attendance.


Top picture has Zea, who is due any day, and some cute babies at the RS Birthday Party.
Tchau
E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa
Tchau
E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa
No comments:
Post a Comment