Sunday, July 15, 2007

Cape Verde Week 16

Bom dia:

It has been an exciting week as we have said goodbye to a number of Elders and received a replenishing supply of fresh Elders. We welcomed to the area this week, Elders Ballantyne, Swapp, Burgess, and Snow. They will be a great addition to our fine Elders and Sisters here in Mindelo. We have been extremely busy this week in preparing for Branch conference in Ramo 1. Also we now have three some of Elders and so I have been filling some of the extra time with the odd Elder. They walk fast, talk fast and eat a lot. We continue to have Elders that suffer from dehydration. They call and say, they just don’t feel good, backache, headache, nausea etc. etc. etc. I ask if they are drink water and most say yes, how about electrolytes, well no. You aren’t drinking the dehydration solution regularly, no. They don’t want to pay the 2 or 3 dollars to make up the drink that will last all week. When they do finally make it and drink, they all are miraculously cured. Good figure!!!

We are in the process of working with the employment special in the District, Sandra Neves, in getting the program going. Come to find out she is already doing everything right and proper. We just need to help her report her statistics. She has made our jobs much easier. We need to get the branch specialist working to keep the workshops full. Unemployment here in the islands can run as high as 50%. Many just don’t want to work and some how the seem able to survive on funds from relatives in the US and Europe.

Sister Bikhazi on the Day of Carla's baptism

I t is beginning to be a custom for the Elders and Sisters to just drop by for a few minutes throughout the week, a lot of times during lunch or on the way to another area. It probably has nothing to do with cookies at the apartment. They seem really disappointed when they find us not home. Usually though we eat lunch at home so they are sure to find us during those hours. Sister Waller has been good about keeping the cookie supply up.

Sister Delgado and Souza drop by last night for a few minutes and they were so excited about a contact who basically asked to be baptized with out a challenge! She had been doing her reading and praying and basically said it is true can I be baptized! Talk about a smile on Sister Delgado’s face, wow she was excited.

I have had to speak two weeks in a row in Ramo1 sacrament meeting. I think maybe they need a change of pace. Last week it was a regular Branch assignment, this week Branch Conference. I believe I have a break for awhile on talks.
Sister Vaterlaus, Carla, Sister Bikhazi- baptismal day!

This week I celebrated another birthday, they seem to becoming faster. It went by with out any fanfare, although Monday morning Sister Bikhazi, Vaterlaus and Waller made doughnuts for the District meeting. The Elders were really surprised and they disappeared quickly. I think they made probably 4or 5 dozen were made. They did kind of taste like Krispy Kreme doughnuts, hmmmmm good; so I guess that was kind of a celebration.
It was hot in the kitchen with these three going at making doughnuts!! But they were so good!


Well tchau for this week.

E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa

No comments: