What a busy week this has been here in Cape Verde. It all started last Sunday when I awoke with a very beet red eye. That week I had 2 episodes of nose bleeding, one that took close to 20 minutes to stop. So when my eye turns up looking like fresh ground beef, we were a little concerned. I had severe throbbing behind the eye also. Well after reviewing what I had been exposed to we came down with the thought of fiberglass exposure. We had visited a shop (if you call it a shop) where a member was making a mould for a washtub. I must have touched some then rubbed it into my eye. So I had red eyes all week. Were are not sure what caused the nose bleeds. When we got to Praia, Sister Allen, the mission nurse, suggested that if it happened again ( nose bleeds) to do what they did in the ER. They would stick a "party favor" up the nostril. For those not familiar with "party favor", they are what the Sisters in Hong Kong, where Erika served and introduced to the local Sisters, tampons. I wasn't sure whether to get the scented or unscented kind?
On Tuesday we traveled to Praia to attend some training on employment. We had Brother Serrano from Spain and Brother Martin from England, down to train us. They were from the Area offices. We had 2 days of lectures on the employment services. We now will go back and make sure the District employment specialist is trained. The workshops look really good and will definitely give a new applicant a head start over the competition.

Sister Tolaman & Waller checking out the nice grocery store in Praia.We stayed at the President’s home and enjoyed the opportunity to visit with them. We also met the new couple in the Mission, Elder & Sister Lopes. They are from Connecticut and this is their first mission. They both speak Portuguese, as she is from Brazil and he is from Cape Verde. Although he left the islands when he was 5 and was raised in Brazil prior to immigrating to the US. He has served in many callings and was released from the Stake Presidency to come on the mission. We are grateful to have them here.
Catholic Church in Central PraiaYesterday we had a baptism and I was asked to perform the baptism for Carla. The Sisters have been teaching here and Sister Waller and I visited there one evening. We had a nice service. She was confirmed a member today and then immediately called as a counselor in the YW program.
Today was a speaking assignment in one of the branches. I had prepared to give the assigned message but at the last minute the District President changed my assignment to another Branch. This morning I awoke knowing I had to speak on another topic, which meant speak without notes again. This time I had a missionary help me, but I think I did okay.
Sisters; Tolman, Barros, Duarte, Pollard, Silva and WallerTomorrow is transfer day and we have a number of Elders leaving the area; Elder’s Friaca, Terry, Burk, Thurgood and Mendonca. Elder Mendonca is being made AP. When Sister Waller said goodbye, she got a little teary eyed when Elder Mendonca said she was like his 2nd Mom. He will be a great AP. This is the young man who was called to be Branch President at the age of 17.
We had a rather quiet 4th of July, spent in Praia. We went out to eat every night we were there; President said we had to go home because he ran out of restaurant to take us to.
Well tchau for this week.
E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa

Cute Baby in the grocery store, Praia.
No comments:
Post a Comment