Sunday, May 25, 2008

Cape Verde Week 61

Boa Noite,

It has been a busy week which started with Zone Conference. This was President & Sister Tolman’s last Zone Conference here on Fogo. It was a special meeting and we all enjoyed the spirit that was felt. One highlight was Sister Duarte bearing her testimony in English. She did a wonderful job and her smile was so beautiful.

Tuesday President Tolman and I visited Cova Figueira. We held meetings with the District President and his counselor, and then traveled to Mosteiros for a meeting with the Branch President. By the time we were through with the meetings it was late afternoon. President Pires said if we didn’t get him something to eat we needed to take him to the cemetery. I suppose he was hunger. So we stopped for cookies and soda which kept us going till we got home. This is our new Temple in Curitba Brazil. How we wish we were there for the dedication. It is a beautiful Temple in a beautiful setting.

Sister Waller & Tolman played host to the Sister missionaries for lunch and had a great girl’s afternoon just visiting and chatting. Both Sister Waller & Tolman need the time together and enjoy each others company. President Tolman and I arrived home, hungry, so we went out to eat at the Xaguate Hotel restaurant. We had a nice meal and a great visit. We will miss the Tolman’s as they head home in 6 weeks.

Wednesday we held FHE with Lilina’s family and had a good lesson about the Plan of Salvation. We played a game of guess the question and get a face full of water, and I got lucky. They all thought it very funny when I got my face splashed; it was rather refreshing, actually!

We held a District meeting on Thursday and music lessons. Plus I began preparation for the District Training meeting on Saturday. I was responsible to train the clerks and secretaries. I keep repeating much of my training because they are slow to make changes. I have one Branch President who I think has a learning disability. Actually he just likes to do things his way. I train and train and train but no change, no change, no change; hmmmm, am I learning patience? I am trying!!

Saturday was the big training session that went well in Cova Figueira. The rid on the very crowded rented bus was fun. Every seat filled with enthusiastic young people, the future of Cape Verde! During the week I went with the District President and bought paint for the Elder’s apartment in Cova Figueira. It cost well over $400, I was shocked. The paint alone was 30,000 escudos which is about $420, yikes; you think it was paint for the Taj Mahal. It was just a water based paint!

Today we traveled to Mosteiros for Sacrament and training of the leadership. We took along Elder Day to do some translating, but once I got going I didn’t need him very much. It was a good meeting and hopefully my talk in sacrament meeting will get the members to think about serving in the church.

We helped the Sister’s with a meeting this evening with a less active family. Two of the young ones were just baptized but the mom is not very active. So we went and had a nice visit, and I gave a lesson on Faith and the need to keep the commandments. This is our ZoneConference lucheon at the Club Tropicale. Everyone enjoy the time together and the food! Elders Fernandez, Da Luz, De Cruz, Da Cruz, Kinghorn, Day, Reynolds, Luthi, Ellis, Silva; Sister's Skinn, Duarte and President & Sister Tolman.

Well we hope everyone is doing well and in good health. We love and appreciate you all.

Tchau
E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa

No comments: