Sunday, December 30, 2007

Cape Verde week 40

Boa Noite,

Well week 40 has been one to remember. We had 7 baptism yesterday and the fonts at the church were either out of water or under repair, so the baptisms were done in the ocean. The Elders were so excited to be able to get in the ocean. I warned them to wear their flip flops but who listens to me. So 4 came back with Sea urchin spines in their feet. So Sunday afternoon became spine removal afternoon. We had a wonderful Christmas Choir and Program Sunday evening. Everyone did a wonderful job, unfortunately the attendance wasn't very good.
The DeCosta Neves family: soon to be President DeCosta Neves Mission President
Ex-Elder Reis and Jennifer. Then Sister Waller and Sandra's Mother, MaMae.
It all started last Sunday evening. I was feeling good and getting ready for bed when all of a sudden my back started to hurt a little, the little turned into more and then more and then MORE! Now my stomach started to hurt with sharp stabbing pain, rocking back and forth gave little comfort, soon nausea and vomiting happened. What I am describing is the attack of a “Kidney Stone, at least that is my diagnosis. Being out here in the boonies with few to little medical facilities a hospital visit was not on the list. A blessing was received and in about 20-30 minutes the pain started to ease and, whaaala the pain was gone. A total of maybe a 1 ½ hr of severe pain then I felt like a new man. So I was fine for about an hour then I get this little pain in my back and the whole process starts over again, but not quite as intense. Anyway the start to the week saw me drinking tons of water and become the bathroom friend.

We had a very nice Christmas Eve with the Elders and Sisters eating chili and watching a movie “Miracle”. Then they all returned on Christmas morning for cinnamon rolls and juice. We had a gift exchange, snow ball fight and they watched “Phantom of the Opera”. Then they were all off to call their parents, while we enjoyed speaking with the family. Sister's dough failed to raise! Sad day, but Sister Waller to the rescue!Snow ball fight. Snow balls (socks stuff with cotton) provided by the Pollard family, thanks.
When you sing keep your chin up, good advised from a good singer, Sister Pollard.
We continued with transfers and receiving new missionaries and saying goodbye to others on Wednesday. Plus drinking lots of water!!! We welcomed Elder Johnson and Sister Freitas to the area. We lost Elders Burgess, Ence, Ballantyne and Snow. We have some new Elders coming in a few days from the MTC.

The rest of the week was rather uneventful as we prepare to be transferred to Fogo. Yes the President has decided we are needed on another Island. We get varying reports from the missionaries who have served there and the conditions. They all agree that in Sao Felipe you are either going in one direction; uphill or downhill! Since they have no bus system we should get lots of exercise, a plus, I suppose. We also learn that they speak a different Creole and many don’t speak very good Portuguese. Yikes this could get interesting. We will be with less missionaries there than here in Mindelo. There are 6 missionaries in the city with 4 more on the island. We have one set of Sisters. There are 4 branches on the island with 2 in the city of Sao Felipe. The District has those 4 branches and a branch on the island of Brava.

Well things were rolling along well until Saturday night when I started having a little pain in my back, Oh NO!!! Yep I had 2 more episodes of kidney pain. I talked to the Area Physician and he basically said he would pray for me. The one bright spot about kidney stones, you sure appreciate it when they pass, life sure is great after that! More water and more water now is the course of treatment. When we get to Praia, I’ll go in to the Urologist and get checked out maybe. Unfortunately Sharon has come down sick with a cold and aches. She missed Church today, not wanting to infect anyone else. Kidney stones aren’t contagious! I did give my final talks here in 2 branches. It was on keeping the “Law of Chastity”, they sure need to just say “NO”.

Well here is hoping everyone had a very Merry Christmas and looking forward to a Happy New Year. I now need to go drink some more water.

Love to all,

E/S Waller, Chuck & Sharon, Bama & Bampa





Elder Morales showing off his popeye shirt!!


Sister Silveira sport her new goggle wear, and Sister Alencar with a new purse.


Elder Ray with a very nice new hair curling set!


Elder Monteiro with a new bathmath and I think Elder Waller it is a little small, have you lost weight or is it really tight? Christmas gift from the missionaries, T-shirts.

Christmas Kiss, Elders and Sisters got a kick out of this!

Tchau everyone!

No comments: