I t has been an action packed week what with transfers and visitors coming and going. We had the opportunity o meeting with John Mulligan of the Area Humanitarian department. We were kind of unofficially put in charge of some projects, which maybe will move them along a little faster. We are looking forward to moving on the Nursing school project and a Senior center project, as well as starting the paper work on a children’s play ground area.
We have 3 new missionaries in the Zone; Elder Morales, Elder Neumann, and Sister Silveira. We are looking forward to getting to know them better. We had to say good bye to Elder Masterson, and Wood. They are great missionaries and will be a great asset to any area.
I have been working for the last month, on setting up General Conference session at the new chapel. The CES and Physical facility representatives both have church laptops and the chapel is set up for wireless internet. I have been trying to get Area approval for my laptop to work but need a password. They have never had direct conference transmission here, they have always waited for tapes or DVD’s. I kept tell them they need to listen to the Prophet live, but they are slow to learn. Anyway it came down to Saturday and they were going to hook up the internet in Portuguese only, I said no you will have both English and Portuguese. It took a little while to get it clear I wanted English as well. Finally we got audio in English. Plus no one had announced conference so of course no one was there, except the missionaries. So I have some work to do get them to change their ways. We are showing the Sunday sessions today live! We will see how many show up.
This is lunch with the Sisters to welcome Sister Silveira. She is a good one and we will enjoy working with her.
We were deeply impressed with both sessions on Saturday. They were dynamic talks. We were quite concerned over Elder Wirthlin and his physical weakness, but what a powerful message. We look forward to this afternoons broadcast.
I had an interesting experience on Wednesday. The Elders had started teaching a Muslim who was very interested in changing his life. Because of his past and the threats against his life we (President Tolman and I) counseled the Elders to slow down and let things cool off. Well he saw the Elders on the street and asked why they had not been around, he was quite upset and so they made an appointment for that evening at the church. They then called me to assist. George was very concerned that he needed to change his life and he had made the choice to follow Jesus. I explained to him the church policy of not proselyting members of the Muslim faith because of concerns for their safety. He said his situation was better and there was no real danger unless he returned to Senegal. Besides he carried a pistol!! What, sure enough tucked into his belt under his shirt was a gun. That made me feel really uncomfortable, and I decided I had to watch what I said closely. He also informed me that he had been an orphan and was raised by the Emans in his village. He was trained by Hezzbolah for terrorism. Well anyway, we will have to see how far this is going to go. But knowing we have to be careful.
Saturday afternoon seesion was crowded into the living room, it got quite hot.
Well everyone have a nice week end and hope you enjoyed conference as much as we did here in Mindelo.
Love to all,
E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa
No comments:
Post a Comment