Well what can I say, but that this week has been for the pits!! Since taking over the medical responsibilities of the Mission I have been on the phone quite a bit. It seems this is the week where I memorize the treatment for stomach problems, worms, dehydration etc. What is frustrating is that I keep telling our youthful 19 yr olds how to prevent the problems, but yet they continue to occur. I suppose I have forgotten what it is to be 19 and invincible!
We thoroughly enjoyed the visit of Steve Jorgenson and Joe & Linda Petersen. It was nice to have a lengthy conversation in English; to learn of their family and of their desires for the future. The fact that they came bearing gifts; chocolate chips, milk duds, peanut butter etc., surely helped.
We had a sick Elder on Wednesday who spent the day with us recuperating. When he called from Santo Antao, it sounded like he might have early pneumonia and so the Area Medical advised getting him in to check him out. Once he arrived, I checked his lungs and they were clear, he just looked under the weather, probably viral. So he spent the day on the sofa. The Zone went off on an activity to the beach, and they all came back really sanding, so we kept them out of the house.
On Thursday Sharon was walking along the road and didn’t see a part of the sidewalk sticking up, and down she went. She hurt her knee and both wrist. We hurried home and got ice on all the sore area, which by that time had started swelling and bruising. I was able to determine she hadn’t broken anything but she was hurting pretty good. So those pills you left, Joe, came in handy. It allowed her to relax some and get over the initial shock of injury; after the initial day things started to improve, although she is still having problems with her left thumband wrist. This is the same wrist she injured in Sri Lanka a number of years ago.
The weather has turned off really hot this week and what with the rain last week, we now have an influx of flies!! They seem to be everywhere and getting into everything. We were eating dinner the other night and one flew into the glass and started back swimming across the juice. They say the flies will disappear in a few weeks as the weather heats up.
Yesterday I took Sharon to lunch and stopped and talked with a street vendor. He repairs shoes and I had said “Hi” to him before, as I knew he spoke English. His name is Carlos and he is from Liberia. So I decided to ask him if he was “A Christian”, and he responded yes. I invited him to hear the discussions and he responded that he would. So I have to get an English Book of Mormon and we will start the lessons next week, I hope.
The Elders and Sisters are all getting excited as transfers are soon approaching. They all have their opinions on who is leaving and who is being rotated where, and they want to know if I have heard anything. Of course I haven’t, and if I had I wouldn’t tell them, but they keep trying to get information. We will be going to Praia next week for an Employment meeting and Mission Presidency meeting, and they all want me to peak under the curtain in the Presidents office at the transfer board. Fat chance!!
Well that is about it for the week. Sister Waller is on a slow mend, & missionaries are getting sick and healing also; what is called, one eternal round.
So, Tchau for this week.
E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa
Elders Ence & Ray flexing their missionary muscles!Elders Hill & Ence, and Sister Vaterlaus now over 1 year!
Sister Bikhazi with new friend!
The three Sister amigas!!!
Children of Mindelo, cute!!
Zone activity, cave art!
Sister Alencar has the Book of Mormon introduction down pat.
No comments:
Post a Comment