This past week has been a little different. Sharon was sick for a bout 4 days; with head aches and stomach problems. I am not sure if my cooking helped, or lack of cooking. She is now doing better and we are out and about some. We had a number of visits with members and non members this week. The Elders and Sisters invite us to assist in teaching, and we have enjoyed the opportunity. We have made a few visits to members and seem to be getting the hang of speaking and repeating things.
Main Praca ( Park) in the center of town.
Last weekend was a Branch conference and I got to speak 3 times in stead of the normal 2. I decided to give it a try and only used notes not a written talk. Everyone said I did well. I am having a problem with um though; I say um sometimes when I should say ‘o’ or ‘a’. Um means one and ‘o’ and ‘a’ mean the. So it is rather confusing to the listener. Sharon is helping me with the problem by nudging me or saying HMMMM.
We are continuing our reading the Book of Mormon in Portuguese; we are now in the Book of Mosiah. Our pronunciation is getting much better and we are starting to recognize more words. We do pretty good at reading Portuguese now. Sharon is a great help in the pronunciation department, plus she knows most of the grammar rules. She will say, “that has a soft ‘o’ sound like in the word….. Of course for me it kind of goes in one ear and out the other, but she keeps trying and is very patience. Sometimes I get a little upset as it is hard to have every other word interrupted by a HMMMMM, so I to am learning patience.
Main Road in the center of Mindelo.
We visited, the other night, with the Sisters an investigator named Carla. She is set for baptism in about 2 weeks. We had a good discussion and I even told a few stories, it was a pleasant time. I have also been asked to baptize a young man who I invited to be baptized when out on a discussion with Elder Terry and Tuttle. I asked them why they weren’t doing the baptism and they responded, “they wanted the members to have the experience”. I think that is great but I am a missionary as well, how about the local members. They insist that he wants me to do the baptism, so okay. We have participated in about 3 of his discussions, he is well on the way to having read the Book of Mormon, and should be finished by the time of the Baptism.
Government Building in the Center of Mindelo.
This coming week is one for preparing for Zone Conference, always a treat. Sharon and I have been studying Isaiah together. We have been listening to the podcast on, “ Insights into Isaiah” from the BYU website. It has been really interesting and we are enjoying the study time together. I need to be better at taking notes and recording them so they will be of use in the future.
Well have a good week.
E/S Waller, Bama & Bampa, Mom & Dad, Chuck & Sharon
No comments:
Post a Comment