Friday, May 11, 2007

Cape Verde Week 7

Boa Tarde:

This has been an exciting week in many ways. We have had 3 birthdays this week, so that means lots of cake and cinnamon rolls. Everyone likes it when there is a birthday!! The Elders were all pleasantly surprised with the food offering. Their companions were pretty happy also.

We have started having the missionaries over for Sunday dinner, but require a message then a visit with a less active family. Last Sunday we not only celebrated Elder Terry’s birthday but got to visit with a less active and a investigator. The young investigator was about 15 and was very interested in the discussions. He had already read 3 chapters in 3 Nephi and was eager to learn more. The Elders were nice and ask me if I had anything to share. Of course that is like a asking a missionary if wants seconds on his cake!!

So I proceeded to talk about Heavenly Father & the Savior, then I remembered 3 Nephi 27:20, so we read that; then I remembered Alma at the waters of Mormon, so we read that; then I looked at him and invited him to be baptized, and he said he, yes. Later he asked what was baptism, after explaining what the covenant and promises would be, he was more excited. The Elders were really excited as they weren’t planning on inviting him to be baptized for at least another week. So I just sped the process up a little.

We have also had the opportunity to go visiting with the Sisters to a family of 4; mother, daughter (about 21 with a baby) and son about 14. The discussions have been good, but it will be a challenge to get them to come to church. The mother has severe arthritis and is unable to walk much and they live quite a distance from the church. The Sisters aren’t real sure the 21y/o can live the law of chastity. When they taught that principle, everyone laughed and said, “sure she can”. This is a real problem here in Cape Verde. It is very much a matriarchal society, where fathers come and go with little or no responsibility.

We also had the opportunity this week to visit Claudia, a new convert and her family. She has two children, daughter 11 and son 9, again father out of the picture. The children have not been baptized yet, but I think it won’t be long. We had a nice visit and message. She has been called to be in the RS Presidency, her good friend is the President.

This past week I had the opportunity to play Doctor a couple of times. Everyone survived and things continue to move smoothly. We have at least 4 companionships now drinking regularly the dehydration solution, and I believe it is making a difference. The weather has turned off muggy and humid the last few days and hydration of water and electrolytes will be come more important.
President Da Luz & Adalgisa
President Tavares and new baby!

We have finished holding FHE with all the Branch Presidents families, they are a good group. The future looks bright with such talented and devoted families. Piano lessons have continued and I think we might have 2 more students for Sister Waller, making a total of 5. President Neves, Sandra and Marcus

Today we attended a private Catholic school and taught some songs to 2 English classes; “popcorn popping”, and “if you're happy and you know it”. They would like us to come for the next two weeks and teach more songs. The students are about 10-13 years old and they responded well.

Sister Vaterlaus told me yesterday that my Portuguese is getting much better, and she has only been here 3 weeks. I guess the lessons are helping. Tudo cool!!! That is creole, for awesome!

Happy Mothers Day!!

E/S Waller, Mom & Dad, Bama & Bampa

No comments: